Friday 29 March 2013

Bio Doggerel


Recently, I gave a talk in South Africa at the Academy of Self Knowledge's annual conference - this year's theme being The Universal Message of the Qur'an - and got into a small flap as one of the speakers before me was asked to introduce himself. Since I hadn't actually supplied the moderator with any bio-data on myself, and since I had barely even met him, I hastily scribbled something down on the back of my lecture notes and in about 15 minutes this is what came out. I can't claim its poetry. Doggerel maybe. But it raised a few laughs, and, well... it just about sums up my bio.

Born in Kirkuk
raised in Beirut
schooled in Berkshire UK
& Texas US of A

Grabbed by Islam
saved from true harm
my heritage claimed me
I submitted gamely

Blessed with good parents
a father who made sense
a mother whose call
was to love God above all

Sent the gift of Abbas
a husband 'fust' class
Sojourn in Pakistan
followed by Englestan

Editing was my toil
my service, my joy
til then at long last
more study at SOAS

Kids came - a blessing
a new space of learning
Again to Pakistan
for the sake of Abbas-jan

The call of the heart
pulsing in an arc
drawing me here
my shaykh to be near

Plans now afoot
our home here to put
among sincere friends
a new chapter begins



No comments:

Post a Comment